Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: System for DJs question

I did live sound re-enforcement for over twenty years on my rig and as house tech at several venues. Whenever a DJ wanted to plug into my system I would ask him to keep a 'handle' on his levels. Invariably all the DJs would keep turning it up as the night grooved on and I would constantly have to clamp down on the trim in his inputs on the mixer.
I realize things have changed with the gear as much of it is digitally controlled and processed to the nines but some things still hold true. If he is clipping the trim on the console or any input, the resulting signal will send a nasty spike into your compression drivers and even if the input to the driver is within acceptable limits it will damage the diaphragms or trip the breakers/fuses.
I suggest you monitor the input or place a compressor/limiter on the DJs feed before it enters your gear. BTW: Never, ever use slow-blow fuses on loudspeakers. By the time they blow the damage is already done. Slow blow fuses are for power supplies, period.
Hope I helped

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: System for DJs question - finnman500@hotmail.com 17:36:37 01/24/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.