Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: peak level at each octave band

"What is the maximum peak level of the recorded music at each octave band, 1/2, or 1/3 octave band (compared to 0dBFS)?"

The answer depends on the music signal. Many musical instruments have more energy in their second and/or third harmonic than in their fundamental. Instruments such as the flute have very simple overtone structures composed mainly of even-order harmonics. Others have very complex structures, and some have large amounts of odd-order harmonics. All of these variables affect not only the peak-to-average level, but also the frequency bands where the maximum energy level is located. Taking it a step further, the spectra of musical ensembles varies based not only on the make-up of the ensemble, but varies depending on the piece being played, and further it varies moment-to-moment.

"If I increase a specific band by 10dB, should I decrease the overall level by 10dB to avoid clipping?"

Again, it depends on the signal, but in general, the answer is "no". If you're boosting an upper frequency range which had been contributing very little to the overall signal level, then clearly the answer is no. But if you're boosting a range which already has fairly significant energy, you will likely need to reduce the overall gain "by some amount" in order to maintain headroom.

On a related point, the increase or decrease of a signal's level based on the raising or lowering of some frequency band also depends on the phase relationship of the component harmonics. As a simple example, take two sine waves of equal frequency but 180 degrees out of phase. Let's say they are each on their own faders. With one fader all the way up, and the other all the way down, you will have the maximum output level. As the second fader is raised, the level will actually drop because you are adding an out of phase signal, and they sum negatively.

hth

Edits: 01/11/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: peak level at each octave band - Inmate51 08:06:40 01/11/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.