Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: xlr to rca

Thanks again for the further info, John. I made the cables myself, pins 1 and 3 shorted to negative, 2 to RCA positive (based on info I found on the net - I did see about the discrepancy between the pin systems but assumed the machine would fall within the mainstream).

I guess you are saying that on most older gear pin 3 was hot, on newer gear it's pin 2. The scheme would likely come from MCI rather than Sony, they weren't bought up by Sony I don't think until some time in the '80's, likely after my machine was built. Anyway, I'll see what the manual says when I get it.

In the mean time I'll try reversing 2 and 3 and see what that does (do you recommend still shorting 1 and 2 or leaving 1 disconnected?), someone else also showed me a schematic that involved some dividing resistors for the negative signal and a switch from the ground pin to take that in and out. The pin reversal is a little quicker so I'll try that first.

If the MCI is pin 3 hot, you're suggesting rewiring the xlr input and output jacks reversing pins 2 and 3, correct? Thanks again.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: xlr to rca - castironandtubes 13:36:43 10/24/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.