Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

As a rank amateur....

I have recorded my bands using a Presonus FirePod plus various mics. This is connected via Firewire to a Dell laptop running WinXP and using Cubase to capture the tracks. This is an 8 analog channel input outboard audio interface to either a Mac or PC. I started with the 2-input version from M-audio. I could not get quality recordings of my bands using that approach. Of course, this meant that I had to purchase 8 mics, which is where much of the cost went.

This all involved single takes using all 8 of the mic inputs with the band in a rehearsal room - not a studio. I've also made live recordings with this setup as well, however. The resulting mixdown - again with Cubase - have been quite acceptable for demo and compilation CDs.

Almost all DAW concepts are the same and much as the old analog mixing boards. Various implementations such as ProTools, Cubase, Garage Band, etc, means you likely need to just pick one and hang with it to learn how it works and to get your work done.

Since Presonus requires a PC or a Mac, you will need to plan on spending some time learning how to get the audio interface fully integrated into the PC/Mac and know how to handle the system administration aspects to ensure there are no dropouts or clicks when laying down the tracks.

There are plenty of forums on the Internet for you to learn more about this hobby. I can tell you one thing, though: Do not attempt to run the recording while attempting to play with the band at the same time. You don't have enough time to do both well.

As for costing, I have about $2K or so, not counting mic stands or the Laptop, invested and I've been quite happy with the whole rig. BTW, just so you know my requirements, my band does 3-horn old-school jazz with piano, bass and drums. All analog and all live recordings - no overdubbing or tracking. No compression on any channel during recording, either. We play....the recorder records onto 8 tracks and then I mix down later.

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • As a rank amateur.... - doodlebug 17:48:35 10/07/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.