Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: A simple set up is good...

Neumann does not necessarily equate to good anymore. Most of the modern mics they are turning out (thanks to Sennheiser leadership) are crap. They are using chips to simulate tubes and transformer sound. Being a Neumann does not make it a good live mic with off axis rejection. Like anything else, we must be model specific. I have used U47s, 48s, 49s and 87s live. I would rather have a mic designed for the application than a vintage mic that needs an obscure $2k tube (in the case of the 47s and 48s).

Many of the top bluegrass acts are endorsed. I have worked with and for groups using AudioTechnica, Shure and Audix mics. The success of large diaphragm mics is based on the band's ability to acoustically mix themselves on stage. Next would be the ability to achieve good gain before feedback. The last important thing is in-ear monitors. If you are planning to use floor wedges and/or side-fills, then you are going to have a sonic mess on your hands at FOH.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.