Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: new band seeks advice on setup

Thanks for the articulate responses on a previous inquiry about our new bluegrass band’s sound system. Let me add some specifics.

We are currently a quartet but are aiming to add a fiddle to have the classic guitar, banjo, mando, fiddle, uprightbasss with five vocal mics so 10 inputs are needed. We play bluegrass with a lot of 3 part harmony. We will be playing bars and gigs like that, if we get big outdoor gigs we’ll rent or hire, but we want to be self sufficient for smaller things. We’re hoping for a weekly gig through the winter if things work out. We’ve come up with two options so far – the more expensive one with powered Mackie SRM450v2 speakers and a less expensive one with a powered head and unpowered speakers. I’d say we’re willing to spend $1k but don’t really want to go over $2k. We will be using mostly SM57 and SM58 mics (a few of which we still need to buy).

Option A:
10 channel Tapco Mix10FXP powered mixer $350
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tapco-Mix10FXP-1000Watt-Powered-Mixer?sku=482835&src=3SOSWXXA
Tapco 6915 2-way 15” speakers $250 each
Alto Elvis 12M monitors $185 each
Plus cords and stands and all gets us in for $1400

Option B:
Use existing unpowered mixing board we have
Two Mackie SRM450v2 powered speakers $750 each
XLS202 200w powered amp for monitors $300
PV12M 12” monitors $200 each
Tweeq 31 band graphic EQ $139
Rack for all the stuff $280
Plus cords and stands gets us in the ballpark of $2800, which is pretty pricey it seems.

So my questions to you aficionatos are
1) Will option B really sound that much better
2) Are there any problems with option A? Should we bump up the speakers or add anything? There are fewer bands on the EQ with option A but separate main/monitor eq.
3) Any other suggestions

Thanks for the help
Will Hancock
wohbio@engr.psu.edu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.