Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

I have also heard what you speak of, but In the case

of the DBX drive rack, I found that all I had to do was to equalize for the equalizer; that is, I had to do two half db adjustments on the dbx to compensate for the dbx's intrinsic "flavor" or change from neutral. Neutral being defined in this case as the sound of the Dac1 going into the amps directly. I have actually found the dbx unit to be more transparent in regard to the source signal than most high-end preamps I have had in my house (where I could actually test them).

I my case, with my gear, I had to take the dbx down .5db at 4khz and .5db at 8khz for it to sound exactly like the source. (This is with everything else set "flat" so I could adjust for the intrinsic flavor of the dbx itself). It often takes a great deal more to adjust for the different flavors of high-end preamps. Obviously, there are preamps that are damned close to perfectly neutral, but many audiophile favs are..well...flavored. Nothing wrong with that...

In my experience, with three seperate units, the DeqX was not very good at all..it was as if the adc and the dac were not on the same page at all. It always had a signature you simply could not get out. (Sounded like a weird sort of aliasing to me.) I understand that there have been improvements since the ones I tested.

Also I have to ask...did you allow sufficient break in time for the various digital devices? They respond to burn in as much, or more, than any other device.
Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I have also heard what you speak of, but In the case - rp1@surfnetusa.com 20:50:38 06/25/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.