Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Behringher UltraDrive DCX 2496 as a compressor

Thanks for the quick reply but it is still unclear :-(
Yes, I understand how compression works and it is generally used on individual mic signals (before being mixed) if issues like vocalist or snare drum compression is needed. In the case of the DCX 2496, my assumption is that the compression is happening after the final mix (since it is usually connected between the mixer & amplifier) and that the compression is frequency dependent. So if no other compressors are used and the Behringer is set to do dynamic EQ from 500-5000 Hz (approx vocal range) for -6db gain and a -20db threshold, when the vocalist goes to 0db in the mix, the output from the DCX 2496 is -6db. But if there is a bass guitar at 0db, (assuming that most of it's signal is below 500hz) it will not get compressed and be output to at 0db and hence overdriving the cheap paging speaker. Is this correct?

Is the compression on the DCX 2496 frequency dependent or not? You say it is frequency independent. Then why do we key in the frequency? Unfortunately I do not have access to the unit at the moment. I could access it after a few days if necessary.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Behringher UltraDrive DCX 2496 as a compressor - The Sound Guy 06:16:54 06/17/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.