Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Hopelessly Naive Microphone Questions

Ideally to capture the room:
A matched pair of large diaphram multi-pattern (omni, figure of 8, cardioid) tube (or fet) mics. Costly but never obsolete.

A low noise high sensitivity design will capture more "air".

Mic type, placement, mic preamp, analog to digital converter into your laptop -- all factor into your sound chain.

Shure's sm57 is a solid performing, versatile and rugged dynamic mic. Often used to close-mic snare drum. Ok for live vocals. I've seen them in front of guitar amps. A place to start.

There are some Asian condenser mics that are supposed to be good for the money. Research.

Calibration mic (small mic capsule) knock-offs might be worth researching as well. Sometimes they come in matched pairs.

You may want to consider some of the all-in-one portable digital recorders from Korg, Zoom, Edirol, etc., and download to laptop for playback. These may use SD memory cards.

Be free to experiment, as your budget may demand unconventional solutions: piezo electric contact mics, wiring speakers as mics (dynamic)? Innovate and improvise.

Best luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.