Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: AKG condenser worse than Audix dynamic?

Gotcha.
I've tried switching the XLR cables and A/B inputs. The mic calls for 48V of phantom power and the interface inputs (Hi-Z/Line/Mic hybrid) say they supply +48V of power (I don't have a way to check the actual voltage).
Apparently the pre-amp on this interface is very good (with transparency/noise) for this price range, so I doubt if it's that. I often have the gain on the dynamic up to +60db; the condenser never needs anything close to that.
So here's what I'll try today:

1) Recording the condenser by itself: I'm not sure how the interface handles the power when another non-phantom-needy device is connected to the other input. Maybe it's only sending half the necessary voltage to the condenser. But I don't think that's the case.

2) I'll take my mic to a rental house and see if they'll let me plug mine in with another. Either way for just $10 or so I'll rent another in the low price range and bring it home to test next to this one.

3) If I/the rental guys think this mic is busted I'll see if AKG will replace it. If it's just crappy or they won't replace it...looks like I'll be renting more mics until I find something that works/works for me.

Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.