Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Turntable speed - cannot achieve "dead center"

About a month back I purchased a replacement belt for my Pioneer PL-230, which had been sitting idle for over 17 years in a stereo wall unit. All was okay, it was kept clean and dust free, except that the belt had dried up to pieces. Anyway, I've been attempting to convert a solid collection of pristine albums to digital files and CD's. After cleaning out any remnants of the old belt, resetting the weight and tracking all seems to be working, with one exception. When I fine tune the speed I cannot achieve a "dead center" speed. The best I can get has a slight ebb and flow at center mark. The pattern (or one brick in the pattern) is virtually stable, but just pushes slightly "+" and with the distance of 1 brick of the pattern and then it goes back to "-" the same distance. It truly does not appear to the eye as that much of a variation, however it is just noticeable on playback and recordings.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

I made sure all is cleaned, lubricated, adjusted and readjusted, but no luck. I had one thought and was not sure what you might think. Is it possible that the variation is from not enough tension by the belt. Would a belt slightly, slightly smaller help ?? The belt length is the correct length (23.6).

Any help would be appreciated

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Turntable speed - cannot achieve "dead center" - kmodro1067@aol.com 10:47:19 09/25/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.