Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Yamaha Subkick Microphone

When I first saw this product I said to myself 'Hey they ripped me off'. I did not know about this teqnique being used in the 70's when I first tried it in the mid 80's on my set. I had culled a fairly 'tight' 8" speaker from an old tube TV cabinet. I stuck the thing in a cardboard box to see what the bass was like for music. One day just screwing around I tried it as a bass drum mic. The thing way clipped my preamp so I put a series resistor in the signal path (that's how much voltage the speaker put out). Anyway, the low end was fantastic. I experimented with placement and found out that at the right angle I could also pick up some serious low end from my floor tom at the same time. I was minimalist miking so I took all the sound being picked up that I could. I never tried any other speakers in the box but I do think a driver with low complience (i.e. one for open back designs)might give the best transient response. But its easy enough to try different ones.
Good Luck
Creig

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yamaha Subkick Microphone - speakerknut 16:47:45 08/21/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.