Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Sealed/Open guitar cabinet?

Quote: "I'm building my own guitar cabinet. Settled on a 12" Eminence driver...the Wizard, for high sensitivity and bright sound. Shall I build a sealed or open back cabinet? Aren't sealed backs louder, with more bass? Why so many open backs out there? "

Quote: "Well, this I must take issue with. Anything below about 500 to 1,000Hz is affected by box loading. Also, most guitar speakers have a resonance of about 100Hz, and lots of them yield F3s a whole octave above the low E-string or whatever. (I'm not a guitarist.) My suspicion is that a sealed box will make a huge difference to the sound. I think I will make the back hinged, for both types of sound. I think the tradition of open box became popular because the vented back suits the amplifier in combos, and becasue people like the diffuse sound from the open back."

HUH. I must have missed the "I'M NOT A GUITARIST" part in your original post. And I must have missed the "I know about speaker system design and guitars" part as well.

Sorry. Didn't mean to waste your time. I thought you were building YOUR OWN GUITAR CABINET.

Another example of why pros rarely post on this forum.

Edits: 08/10/07 08/10/07

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.