Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Lavry DA10/Vandersteen 2CE Sigs.

If I had that budget, I would pick up a Vandersteen 2CE Signatures, a Lavry DA10 DAC, and a used McCormack DNA-1. The speakers are $2000 new, the DAC is $900 new, and the amp is around $750 used. If you don't already have a DVD player or computer you could use as a transport, you could pick up a used transport, maybe something with the pioneer stable platter system. You wouldn't need a preamp, the Lavry can drive the McCormack and it has a volume control. You wouldn't have a remote, and you would only be able to listen to digital sources, but for the money, that system would be very hard to beat.

If you wanted to go with a single box player, something like the Rega Apollo, then an integrated (maybe Rogue Cronus), then the Vandy's would put you over budget, unless you went used (and I'm not sure the Rogue can drive the Vandersteens) could be a good route.

Since this is the pro audio forum, you could also try the Lavry with some powered monitors, maybe some Dynaudio BM6's. The problem that I have with stand mounted speakers is that they take up the same amount of room as floorstanders, so you might as well get a good floorstander once you've committed to using that space for a speaker. You do save a lot with powered speakers though, and powered speakers are arguably inherently better by design.

Go out and listen if you can, then you can decide what you like.

-Aaron.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Lavry DA10/Vandersteen 2CE Sigs. - orpheus 21:10:17 07/12/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.