Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

What factors degrade electrolytic filter caps?

I am using a Hafler 9300 THX power amp which is now 16 years old. It has been turned off when not in use, and I would describe its usage as light over the years, by audiophile standards. By professional standards, that would be very light.

I have been told to expect the electrolytic power supply filter capicitors to fail, maybe soon. My pedestrian research has revealed that these caps are specially sized and very hard to source even now, with worse prospects in the future. The power transformer is also specially sized, and I have been told by John Hillig not to expect to be able to replace it if it fails.

I may have a slight symptom of the capacitors or transformer failing, or it may be my imagination. When I turn the amp on, I hear a momentary hum from the amp (not from the speakers) that may have become louder than it used to be.

I would like to get another year out of this amp, at a usage level that would be about the same as in the past or a little more. Would these two components be placed under more stress by leaving the amp on or by turning it on and off, maybe 5-7 times a week?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - What factors degrade electrolytic filter caps? - DaveD 13:45:10 05/08/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.