Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Silly and naive recording connection question

I admit terminal confusion in making some basic recording connections. I haven't used a synthesizer before and I'm wondering how to connect a Yamaha S90 to my computer (Dell 2.8) with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for HD recording (Cubase Home Studio XL) and be able to monitor through a two channel preamp and power amp.

My thought was to run the S90 analog outs to the 2496, then analog outs of the 2496 to the tape in on the preamp. Then when recording, the preamp is set to MONITOR and my hope was to hear the S90 in the speakers while the 2496 is laying down the digits on HD. However, no combination of settings- monitor/ source and so on has resulted in any sound from the speakers. In the M-Audio Control Panel should the Patchbay router is set to "Monitor Mixer" instead of "WavOut 1/2"? Should I run the S90 output to TAPE on the preamp and then TAPE output from preamp to 2496, and set preamp to Monitor while reocording?

At the moment I run analog outs from the S90 to the 2496 and monitor on headphones from the S90.

Sorry for such basic questions, but up to now I've only been recording acoustic instruments through a tube mic pre to HD and without monitoring. I don't like to guess and connect up things that will go "wwwzzzzbzzzt!". The S90 is so complex I dispair at ever learning to use 10% of it's capabilities. For now, I'd just like to be able to monitor while recording!

Thanks!

-Blazmo

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Silly and naive recording connection question - Blazmo (Q) 16:57:58 03/28/07 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.