Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

You did the right thing wrongly

It is probably correct to say that formatting SSDs would shorten their life. Intel recommends formatting SSD in a couple of scenarios, including before reinstalling an operating system.

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-032319.htm

But Rick, you are not talking yourself into this. Fragment of data are hidden in slack spaces of unused clusters in unformatted disks. These fragments are read but not identified to be useful data by computers. You can check these fragments by hex viewer or diskexplorer and they are dirty. That's why, without these rubbish in your CMP, you were hearing an additional clarity . But I gather that these are very low level noises and that additional clarity could only be heard in a very good audio system, i.e. a fully Tweaked CMP machine with a low noise power supply. It seems that you have reached thus far though.

One way to implement this is to install CMP using a regular HDD. After all tweaks are done, ghost the image and clone to a formatted SSD as the last move. I've been installing using a HDD and am going to try this first on a CF card disk. Thank you for bringing this out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.