Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Beethoven 9th PSO, Steinberg, 1970 FM)Revox 96/24 download

Thanks for some clarifications. I've heard live recordings from the Edirol, and know the mics and positioning are key to better sound. The ADCs are not the limiting factor there.

Now using the Edirol for archive digitalization gives the story another twist. I'll have to check the Edirol specs again.

I use a Samson H4 for "field" recordings, but would be hesitant using it for line-input AD conversions (Opamps etc.). I tend to rely on my M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 for AD or DA conversions.

I understand you had nothing to do with tape choice. There was quite a selection around those days (among the usual suspects such as BASF, AGFA, 3M, Ampex, and Maxell, "Sony" arose with SLH and later ULH which did sound really good, but developed mechanical problems later (SLH first, which was later replaced by ULH, being even worse mechanically with the backcoating sticking to the magnetic front-side). I read the mile-long thread on that issue...

I was wondering why the one-shot deal on recording from these old tapes.

What is causing the noise modulation? Noise level is louder on soft passages, then reduces when the RMS rises. Not just perception, I hear the breathing.

Thanks for shining any light on these.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.