Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks for the good wishes.

Howdy

A few minor points: a FIFO can't provide "constant jitter attenuation". It is at best a low pass jitter filter: you can talk about the slope of the attenuation and it's corner freq, etc. In my experience as the corner frequency of the jitter filter goes down the bass gets firmer (in addition to other effects.)

I've also wanted to try the opposite experiment: instead of trying to get rid of all jitter (which paradoxically can cause it's spectrum to become more colored) perhaps whitening the jitter spectrum might provide a more practical way of achieving a cleaner sound. (Obviously I don't believe it will given the direction I've taken, but still it's a different possible approach.)

As I've mentioned in other posts I assume that jitter is sometimes the only reasonable explanation for the effects of changing, say, a power cord. In the specific case I've talked about before the transport and the DAC were connected by glass fiber so along that path the only possible effect is jitter (or bit errors). The transport was 10' away from the DAC and the rest of the system so I don't expect that RFI was significant. The DAC, the transport and the other system components were on separate dedicated circuits so the AC coupling was fairly minimal, tho possibly audible. But now with further experience with jitter's audible effects I recognize that the firming of the bass when the transport had a more substantive power cord is one common effect of lower jitter. I don't claim this would convince someone else, but it's personal experiences like this that help to clarify one's journey in understanding (or at least rationalizing) "audiophile tweaks", in this case power cord effects and jitter effects.

It's a little off topic, but I often wish I could have more "bits-is-bits" (or objectivist) people over so they could hear for themselves the effects of some simple experiments: we could then do other experiments to help them clarify possible mechanisms in their own minds. I've found over and over that when even some of the die hard double blind proponents hear a significant difference sighted often it opens their eyes to possible explanations for the effects they hear in ways that no amount of discussions will.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.