Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE:What Chance?

"is there of getting rid of RFI when CPU makers are putting GPUs on the same die as CPU?"

Guess it depends on what it is... If you take the limiting case where the data conversion to graphics or audio occurs on the same die as the CPU than any temporal or amplitude intermod effects will be locked in. Naturally stuff that's just riding on the signal rather than mixed in can be filtered off externally.

I have no idea what the future portends. Tablets I think, I even want one and I'm about as stodgy as they come. Obviously for that market the more highly integrated the better so you've probably nailed it, they have to do it right on the chip as there simply won't be anyplace else. At least for the targeted product. But that doesn't mean that they may not include the ability to stream stuff in and out serially for Mfg's that want to do special stuff, it doesn't add very many pins or much die area if the data node already exists so who knows?

If I may slip into pure speculation, on the bright side even though they are physically small, the ability to precisely control the fields and currents on the chip is high and the currents are small. I'd guess that the most difficult aspect is signal induced thermal gradients. If you have a ton of stuff happening at once it's hard see how you can solve them all by symmetry. As always I think we can count on 'audiophile' sound quality to NOT be one of the key parameters so it will probably continue to a pig in the poke.

Like cars, electronic devices become less tinkerable as they mature and that's a mixed bag.

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.