Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Not true for async systems

That makes perfect sense in the case of async transmission. I haven't done any tests myself but my listening confirms what you say, in my case with dCS USB. I did have an issue with Foobar under Windows7 not sounding quite right to my ear but actually the latest Foobar beta seems to have sorted this. I presume it relates to sync'ing Foobar with Windows audio. Certainly now with any app's DS output they sound identical to me. I also don't hear differences with USB cables, I don't see a reason why they should make a differnce in a properly functioning async scheme though some people's experience differs.

As I said though I think whether computers influence jitter and distort the final audio output is going to depend on the DAC system and how it handles the data.

Just out of interest have you measured jitter with Windows ASIO4ALL? It's just never sounded right to me even though I can confirm it's bit perfect. It sounds a bit like Foobar DS used to sound before the recent beta update. I think in both cases the data timing was off somehow, I can't think of any other reason. Maybe out of step somehow, I don't know, just what I hear.

I've swapped my moniker as requested :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not true for async systems - russell d 13:11:50 01/06/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.