Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Back to Linux

I've been playing around with different systems lately. I have an iMac and a Core i3 GA-H55M-UD2H system for Win7 and Linux. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 as a VM recently for work, and I liked what I was seeing, so I rounded up a 2.5" drive and put Ubuntu 10.10 on it to see what it would sound like with my current rig and its latest tweaks (audiophile USB cable and riser to use the USB socket on the mobo and its dedicated IRQ). I'm using a new player (to me) - Exaile. It sounds good. There sure isn't a lack of music players in Linuxland these days - puts OSX to shame.

I'm bummed that the real time kernel isn't supported on Ubuntu 10.10 anymore. I had stability issues before when I tried it with Mint, so I might just forgo that for now...or try Mint again.

Compared to a reasonably striped down and optimized Win7 system, the Linux box has better prat.

The hardware is using all the usual power tweaks - separate and isolated power to P4 and mobo, separate power to the hard drive.

I took a listen to the iMac with my big rig, and it did seem to have better prat than the Win7 PC, but the PC was quite a bit cleaner, since I could underclock and undervolt it a lot compared to the Mac. I got the Mac for other purposes - I know the Mac Mini is all the rage here now.

I'll check out MPD soon and finally get to play with the MPD app for the iPhone I downloaded a while back...

My pet theory is there are two types of jitter, which I call micro and macro. Micro affects inner detail and macro affects prat. And they may have very different causes - micro jitter mostly related to EMI / power issues and macro jitter mostly related to the OS and player software used.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Back to Linux - AstroD 23:44:33 01/03/11 (61)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.