Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I wish...

They had problems implementing the audio when the system was first designed. I told them to use a separate audio clock line. They said the connector had already been designed!

Then he admitted that there was a spare pin. I told him to use that. He said that they had to keep a spare in case they *really* needed (as if audio didn't matter). The ironic thing is that here it is, nearly ten years later, and even with HDMI version 1.4, that spare pin is still not used for anything.

One problem is that if they used it for an audio clock that it wouldn't be backwards compatible with all of the older stuff.

They have added the Audio Rate Control (ARC) in version 1.3a, which solves the jitter problem better than any dedicated audio clock line ever could. But the only people that have used it so far are:

a) Sony -- as "HATS" -- proprietary, only works with a Sony player and receiver.

b) Pioneer -- as "PQLS" -- proprietary, only works with a Pioneer player and receiver.

c) Ayre -- as generic ARC -- will work with any compliant SSP or receiver, but nobody makes one!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.