Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Different argument

>USB Bridges are not perfect. Some do not work well or at all with external drives

I'm not sure what that has to do with digital audio, as bridges are usually meant for cameras. This is more of a function of the bridge not implementing the full USB mass storage command set, or the camera expecting propriatary commands to retreive images, than USB itself being a poor transport mechanism.

>Why are there no serious tests on the integrity of usb/firewire connections; just statements that they are superior.

USB has been around for quite a while, and as of the 1.1 spec release several years ago, is considered bulletproof if implemented correctly, which these days is a trivial task.

> I have found that MAudio usb boxes consistently cause software problems on quite different computers.

That's a result of poor drivers, not a problem with USB itself. I've had endless problems with the drivers for their Quattro USB interface. I've been using high speed USB2 DAQ boxes for about a year, and have never had a problem outside the realm of bad drivers or software.

> Some, please don't say that computer audio is perfect because it is theoreticaly 'perfect'.

The resulting audio may not be perfect, but if you use well written software, the internal audio handling is bit perfect. It's not a theory, it IS. If computers randomly dropped or altered bits they wouldn't run at all.

> Computers are still noisy despite so called silent boxes. There is noise and vibration from the drives and power supply unless one takes extreme measures.

Yep, the inside of a computer is really noisy, which is why you pull the DAC out and put it in a well designed, outboard USB box.

/*Music is subjective. Sound is not.*/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.