Computer Audio Asylum

RFI and Excessive Sample Rate Conversions...........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

"1. Either my equipment sucks or these samples suck and there's alot more but I need to fork up more $$$$."

You don't need to fork up more $$$$..... There is so much crappy software and artifact-laden music tracks out there, who knows what people hear what they hear........

"2. Or high-def cannot be well appreciated with headphones."

I don't think headphones have anything to do with it.......

"3. Or the upsampling back from 16/44 --> 24/96 somehow reconstitutes the sound."

I've never heard asynchronous sample-rate conversion that I didn't think was better than mediocre...... It's usually awful.........

"4. Or, there's really not much difference."

There are too many points of degradation taking place. The RFI on PC-based systems negates the inherent advantage of 16/44- Less number crunching per unit time means less RFI. But it must be conventional playback.

Personally I think RFI is the fundamental flaw for running any listening test on a PC.

"5. At this point I'd probably spend a few more dollars to buy a high-def download (maybe at most $5-10 more if it's something I like) when given the option but not expect significantly more revelation in the sound."

I think the two issues are RFI and excessive sample rate conversions...... The only way to properly evaluate 16/44 vs. high-rez is to convert A/D from an analog source directly to the two rates directly (two separate A/D conversions), and avoid sample rate conversions altogether.

Follow Ups: