Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Power Supplies from granite digital

I have two power supplies I bought directly from granite digital a year ago, but I’m wondering if they are not the same one everyone else is using and whether I received the correct product. It only powers up one type of drive I own. As soon as I plug the sata end of the power connector to my Western Digital 3.5” 400GB hard drive, the drive starts spinning. I then turn the power on to the computer and everything is fine. I assume this is normal operation. My other drives buzz very faintly, but do not spin up. So I’ve been using my computers power supply to run a drive for all this time (a carnal sin by now)

Can someone answer why none of the following drives power will up:

Laptop drives:
Fujitsu MV2120BH 120GB Rating 5V - 0.6A
Fujitsu MHV2200BT 200GB 5V 0.55A

3.5” drives
Western Digital WD10EACS 1TB 5VDC – 0.7A, 12 V – 0.55A
Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB 5VDC – 0.7A, 12 V – 0.75A

The power supply I bought from Granite Digital says FINENESS POWER power supply and has some German writing on it as well along with these specs
INPUT 12V 1 AMP
AUSGANG 12V - 2000mA (Ausgang means exit)
Output 5V – 2000mA, and I thought this should be sufficient for any of these drives.
I still have the invoice and it reads:
Serial # 7130 Universal Drive Mech Power Supply $19.95 each
So, shouldn't these drives power up given their power requirements being lower than the power supply limit?
More importantly, did I receive the wrong product?
Thanks,
Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Power Supplies from granite digital - texastea006@yahoo.com 16:38:19 08/20/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.