Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Geez, Christine, what does it take?

There is little benefit from swapping receive filters, since any desired encode/decode transfer function can be achieved by appropriate choice of encoding filter(s) with a fixed decode filter. There are two key requirements: the two filters need to be designed as a system, i.e. the decode filter must be standardized (something SP didn't do) and the channel between them needs to be linearized. (Something that HDCD addresses using other mechanisms.) So it's no wonder that multiple decode filters were dropped out.

I must confess I still don't understand why HDCD used a complicated and non-linear companding scheme to achieve greater effective bit depth when they could have gotten as good (and probably better) results by going to subtractive dither, with the stolen low order bits being used for the necessary synchronization function.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

Edits: 08/19/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.