Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

WASAPI and 24 bit USB - How ?

Hi all,

The number of times I've seeking for help like this can be counted on one hand I guess, but this time I am kind of desperate;

For the time XXHighEnd uses WASAPI Exclusive Mode (which would be the beginning of 2007) I always had problems with users using something like a Benchmark and an Off-Ramp. What they have in common is accepting 24 bit input only, over USB. I didn't know who or what to blame, and the problem is still there. However, since more players exist now, it appears to me that e.g. Foobar is just capable of it, as long as it's told to output in 24 bits. And, as far as I can tell this is just Exclusive Mode ...

Right now I have an Off-Ramp here, sent to me by a kind user. And well, for the life of me I can't get it to work.
The driver tells Vista it's capable of 24/44100, 24/48000 and 24/96000, and although for Shared Mode this will work, for Exclusive Mode it won't. "Unsupported format".

For the techies hopefully reading this, I have tried more combinations regarding blockalign, avg bytes per second, sampling rate, bits per sample - than officially exist, and I guess I'm at the end of my creativity.
I must be hopelessly overlooking something.

The driver says "Loudspeakers Empirical 1.1", and I'm sure Steve will confirm this is allright. What might not be right is the fact that no 16 bit acceptance is there, which I think his website states. Even if not, it shouldn't be a problem, but maybe it indicates something to someone.

I know from experience that when the device is in use, in some circumstances WASAPI may report the "Unsupported Format" thing, so maybe the problem is in this area somewhere. If this would be the cause, I must be doing it myself in the software, because Foobar on the same PC isn't bugged by it.

16 bit USB no problem, and non-USB connections no problem either for all the thinkable combinations.
Btw, Vista SP1.

Any help is much appreciated by me, and by quite some users.
Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - WASAPI and 24 bit USB - How ? - PeterSt 03:10:22 07/11/09 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.