Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Lets try these tests

you said '...My version of the metallics occurs even when cplay just continues playing and moves to the next track - then (at random) metallics can occur or not. I restart the track, sometimes once more, sometimes again, rarely again, and sooner or later the track starts without metallics. I could discover no pattern whatsover ...' --------- was very close to my experience before I went 2.5" hd, fanless cooling except ----when metallics were bad (real bad) only a reboot would make them go away. Now that I am into 2.5" hdd, fanless cpu cooling and using sox I get metallics much less frequently and I get the kind that are less than 'real bad' (except for other day). yesterday, with using only keyboard to navigate within a file I got none. Also with sox I have not yet gotten any at auto track changes or loads.

Robert I found out that cpu voltage and speed settings affect my metallics. I am right now at .85 volts (as set in bios) and 157 host clock control. I'm sure your equivalent but very low settings may impact your metallics.

what's very frustrating to me is I can hear more purity @ 150 hcc but I get the problem more frequently plus sometimes I get instabilities (system shuts down). So finding the sweet spot is perhaps different for all of us. One thing though I believe impacts metallics, is power supply purity. I am using the P4 Ryelands cap mod which is great sonically but I'm not sure it makes my sys more 'metallic' resistant. Others with linear external ps P4 feeds may want to comment how it may effect metallics. As I recall you use a linear ps for P4 so maybe it just depends on voltage/speed levels plus whether you use juli@ or not.

one last thing I have a benchmark too but I like juli@ analogue out better. When using Lynx did I understand correctly that you can only go digital out with an AES cable? Is there no i2s out with Lynx?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.