Computer Audio Asylum

RE: Revenge of the Power Supply Follies...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

That is very interesting information, Robert. In my setup, these two supplies power the LCD, the USB (for the wireless mouse and the touchscreen), and the HDD.

One of the transformers is setup to produce ~18v which is fed to a 12v regulator which powers the LCD and the regulated 12v is fed to a 5v regulator which powers the on-board USB header that supplies the wireless mouse and touch-screen.

The other transformer produces ~9v which is fed to a second 5v regulator and it powers the HDD.

Because these are all plug-connected, I can try mixing and matching various combinations of the Granite Digital units with these linear supplies. I have gone back and forth between both linear 'dirty' supplies and both GD units, but I have not tried combinations of them. Possibly I can do that this weekend.

And no, I really don't have a good explanation for why this supply makes a difference... and why the quality of the supply's components is important. I really didn't want to spend the time last week and weekend to rebuilt the supply 3 times... but it wasn't satisfactory until I finally relented and used 'audiophile' components. Your suggestion that the harddrive may be responsible is a good line for inquiry. Sorry, I won't be purchasing an SSD to try this out in the near future!

I can also try a wired USB mouse to see if that makes any difference.

Greg in Mississippi

Follow Ups: