Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yea but zero is unobtainable!

Jonathan,

Two things with regard to jitter.

1) There is no such thing as zero. Even the intrinsic jitter of the dac chip you are using, the clocks and such can never approach zero. Nor is there anyway to test that.

2) We have been theorizing over jitter elimination systems and have come to realize that these act merely as filters. The more jitter that the system has the less the jitter reduction system can get out (be it upsampling, fifo whatever). To prove this we poured over recent Stereophile testing for jitter results with several dacs. There was always a increase in jitter from interface X over Y for all these dacs. Especially ones with USB using Adaptive mode. Well we also tested several dacs with our Wavecrest and Prism analyzer and came to the same conclusion.

I would assume since this dac only has a 16/48 capabilities that it is using off the shelf PCM29/270x type parts. We have seen upwards of 4300ps of jitter from these parts. The jitter spectrum also varies allot from PC to MAC and from computer to computer.

Therefore if you don't really know the destination, then how can you get there at the same time? A PLL is basically a filter, some better than others but it will change the sampling frequency to match the incoming signal which in a sense will inject jitter it self.

Thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

Edits: 02/06/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.