Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: USB audio drop outs on XP - every other track. Anyone?

Hey Old Listener:

My PC is a "Cicero" once sold by the electronics megagiant Future Shop.
It has a MicroStar Mobo for a PIV Socket 478 CPU and supports Hyperthreading. I have the 2.93GHZ hyperthreading CPU. It came with 1GB ram and I've never needed more. It has a speed controlled oversized fan that barely spins. CPU load when playing back 44.1 material is under 5% but is now 10% because I am down to one processor when I disabled hyperthreading to get rid of ACPI. Still, that's peak - average is 5%.

I do have a wireless card in there, but no other PCI cards. The graphics is AGP, which is only a few years old. AGP 8X was quite common a few years ago, and PCIe was just coming out. This PC is only about three years old.

- I am not upsampling. The Burr Brown PCM2704 is only good fo 16 bit and from 32 to 48 khz. Even when hardware warrants it, I am usually not a software upsampling fan.

- CPU is about 5% average, peaks of 10.

I have already been watching the task manager like a hawk, with ALL columns enabled. Nothing. Nada. No correlation. No CPU or memory spikes. No I/O read or writes... nothing seems to coincide. Except one thing. When I use the scroll wheel in iexplorer, I can get CPU utilization of almost 80% on internet explorer! (This was before - now I am not sharing an IRQ between my network card + video card and USB controllers.)

The answer was in IRQ conflicts, and the ACPI in general.

Thanks for chiming in Old Listener.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.