Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Should I dump my 2ch disc player and go network?

I'm in the IT industry, so I'm well-versed in current technologies; however, I've been something of a Luddite when it comes to mixing computers and music.

Right now I have a really nice 2ch disc player (Ayre C-5xe). It plays CDs, SACDs, and DVD-A/V, all in 2ch. Two years ago I built a multi-channel room in my house and bought multi-channel players, so the Ayre only gets used for CD these days. It's a great CD player, but it seems a bit of a waste to have such a capable player just for CDs, and my CD collection is so large now (approx 2000 discs) that it's unwieldy.

So I'm thinking of putting my entire CD collection on a NAS in my network closet, and replacing the Ayre in my listening room with something like a Slim Devices Transporter. I've got wired Ethernet to my listening room, so connectivity would not be a problem. Sale value of the Ayre would pretty much pay for the NAS and the Transporter, plus some left over. My only challenge would be ripping all my discs.

Has anyone else gone from a really high-quality stand-alone player to this kind of setup? If so, do you think it was a worthwhile move? How much sound quality will I be giving up (if any) to go for the convenience of a file-based library?

Oh, and one more question - I've got a bunch of copy-protected CDs from Europe that won't rip with standard tools. What do I do with them?

Edits: 05/18/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Should I dump my 2ch disc player and go network? - racerguy 10:20:43 05/18/08 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.