Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Can you clarify please.

Context Switch Delta in System Information refers to CS per internal for entire system. In Process Explorer, set interval in View > Update Speed. You're correct for Threads TAB on foobar. Why you have different CS could be due to version 0.8. I'm using 0.9.

In foobar, thread ending with 0x962ed is for UI which for you would be the 15-30 CS per second. Thread 0x44f30 is for playback (including DSP stack) and the other in my case is for ASIO output. It seems that your playback thread shows 850. You can test this by individually suspending the thread - Suspend button is on Threads TAB. Optimal would be lower CS for UI and playback threads. However, in your case, as you lower latency, playback thread could increase CS - which is correct. Check which process is causing increase in CS when you have both CPUs active. You can add the CS Delta column via View > Select Columns > Process Performance. Let me know.

I get ~1100 CS increase on playback thread. Normal is 15 for UI, 70 for Playback and 3000 for ASIO. ASIO correlates to buffer size of 32 samples which gives 3000 buffers per second (96000/32). At 64 samples, CS is 1500. So for 0.9, optimal is low CS for UI & Playback whilst ASIO is determined by buffer size. CS for overall system is ~6600.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.