Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: 11. [New] Lower System RAM

On latency issue - I had similar problems which was resolved with Foobar buffer set to 100ms. Larger buffers put more load on CPU and could result in premature dispatching to soundcard which requires data realtime. Don't know about Foobar 0.8.

Try using SuperCache ii (desktop version) - this gives RAM playback without having to load each CD into RAM when using RAMDisk. I've set it to Read Ahead 1MB (equivalent of 6 seconds) - you get about 40-50 disk accesses per track. I can't tell the difference when entire track is played from RAM vs ReadAhead. No need to have Foobar do any buffering. You need WMI and DCOM Server Process Launcher services running for this setup. It's an improvement over doing standard Windows disk IO even with added services and cache ii running. In your case you could drop RAM from 1GB to 512MB.

I had to increase RAM to 512MB as I couldn't get cache ii to work @ 256MB. Biostar mobo allows lowest RAM clock speed of 266MHz, so couldn't get 200/200 option to work (I suspect this causes L2 cache drop as I can only do 266/200).

I've had an interesting thing happen with my Zalman PSU (it failed) so I switched to Enermax PSU. Now this gives me best results with 256MB RAM and no cahche ii. I'll do a separate post.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.