Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The Perplexing Part...

Excellent post. I especially like the reference to "flat earth" as this is a term I've often used when describing the beliefs of those who see audio through the dogmatic objective lens. I do agree however that choice and a difference of opinion should be respected. The funny thing is, you are 180 degrees out of phase on this one. You hold the prevailing scientific consensus up on a static pedestal when in fact science is fluid and always shifting. Usually these shifts are slow and evolutionary but sometimes they are sudden and constitute a paradigm shift. If you doubt this, or if you do not understand what I am talking about, read a scientific journal from 25, 50, and 100 years past. You'll read some pretty amusing scientific "fact" much of which is wrong from the perspective of today. Do you assume we have reached a point where this dynamic no longer applies? Perhaps you have a unifying law of physics? For those who are not aware, the "laws" of physics as they apply to the universe fall apart when applied to sub atomic particles while the prevailing laws of Quantum mechanics fall apart when describing the universe. Yet despite the fact our fundamental understanding of the universe and it's building blocks are not only incomplete but also contradict one another, both inner and outer space co exist. Perhaps when a unifying law of physics is established our understanding of what actually happens in audio cables will be complete. Audio cables embody both the greater physical universe with their conductors, dielectrics and shielding that we can see, touch and feel, as well as Quantum mechanics as this pertains to the electrons and their EM fields that pass through our cables. It's no wonder strict, if somewhat sophomoric purveyors of the scientific method take such issue with what is obvious to everyone who listens. Don't feel bad, they also ridicule the physicists who are working to establish a unifying law of physics because their work, when complete, will rewrite their reality templates. Flat Earth thinking if you ask me.

The thing I have the hardest time understanding is why people who do not trust their own senses would choose a hobby that is all about subjective enjoyment? I mean if you can't hear the differences in cables or electronics, or if you don't trust your ears when making such comparisons, then what do such people gain from high end audio when mid-fi, with it's perfect measurements, fits their reality construct so nicely, and at a huge savings? Is it status? What do such people base their High End buying decisions on? Spread sheets, graphs, narrowly defined measurements?

Back to the OP's original topic. If he says a USB cable made a significant difference who are we to question what he heard until we first have a chance listen for our selves? Sure polite speculation or discussion is one thing, but the tone and content of many posts here go way beyond what I consider reasonable and polite discourse. At the end of the day high end audio should be about music and what it takes to recreate emotionally moving music at home. For those of us who look at audio in this way it pays to experiment and try new things. Many of us have found cables can and do significantly improve not only the sound of our systems, but also our enjoyment of music. We have also found that power cords have a significant impact on sound despite the fact the signal and current they deliver first traveled through miles of wire of different forms and in different voltages. We accept this because we hear the change they make in our systems. Why would we assume a USB cable should be any different? Is it because deep down inside we do not see the computer as the equal of our stand alone digital transports? Could it be that we don't really believe our computers are in the same league as our old CD players? I'd imagine that when people start to experiment with what goes in front of the DAC, not only will they discover what a USB cable can do, but also that different power supplies in our computers, RAM, isolation platforms, and so on all make a significant contribution. When this starts to become common knowledge PC based audio will finally be maturing and it's full potential will start to be realized. Think about it; what would a traditional state-of-the-art CD player sound like with the same garbage internal components found in our computers (power supplies, capacitors, resistors, connectors, and so on). Now imagine how much better your PC could sound if the same attention to detail was paid to it's internal components as is paid to high end CD players, transports and DAC's. I'd say Synergistic Research's USB cable is a good first step in this direction.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.