Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The Perplexing Part...

> ...is that instead of calling a 'buyer beware', the "experts" here
> encourage the less informed to buy into this stuff.

This is a site for audiophiles. That is, a site for the somewhat reality-challenged to discuss and develop "flat earth" beliefs about sound, sound perception and the performance of audio hardware along with a bit of support and encouragement from those in the industry.

> Expert advisors are suppose to look out after the interests of the
> non-experts.

Why? Experts are likely to look after the interests of non-expert friends, family and the communities in which they are active members (assuming their advice is wanted). For communities that have sets of values that are opposed to their own are experts going to take an interest?

The audiophile community holds a mishmash of conflicting "flat earth" beliefs and rejects/opposes established knowledge which even extends to simple things taught to school children like Ohms law and the information in a digital signal. There are no "expert" audiophiles if one associates "expert" with mankind's scientific knowledge about sound, sound perception and how audio equipment functions. This is not a problem for audiophiles who have chosen to reject established scientific knowledge in favour of magic and nor is it a problem for experts who take no active interest in the closed audiophile community.

> In the two DIY audio forums (outside the asylum) I frequent experts
> really do give honest advice calling out snake oil for what it is.
> It's just the opposite here though.

So the people putting in the effort to run those sites encourage a different set of values to those running this site. Isn't it good to have a choice? Or are audiophiles and audiophile beliefs a sufficient threat that the mainstream should become concerned?

If people are daft enough to pay absurd sums of money for magic cables then fair enough. I cannot see much wrong with a fool being parted from his money and the people pushing this stuff could be peddling far worse. Is this an unreasonable view?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.