Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: What PC audio set up can outperform High end Emmlabs, DCS system?

Fmak has a number of valid points concerning USB DACS. Mine is limited to 16/44.1. It cannot play SACD or DVD-A. He feels the triode tube output design is grossly colored. There are other things Fred mentioned, but I am an end user and not an engineer. What matters to me is the "enjoyment factor" I get from a product.

Prior to my purchase of the Wavelength Cosecant, I was on an endless quest for satisfying digital reproduction. I spent thousands of dollars for equipment that was ultimately unsatisfying. I spent thousands of dollars to modify the equipment with superclocks, black gate caps, etc, but was never satisfied over the long term.

The Wavelength Cosecant changed my musical life. I found that I was now enjoying listening to digital recordings. My SACD and DVD-As were relegated to a box in the closet.

The Crimson DAC replaced my Cosecant. It has truly been a revelation in what is possible in the reproduction of digital sound. There is no more fatigue factor or unconscious desire to end the listening session.

I have listened extensively to DCS components, and find them as unmusical as most of the other CD products out there. Theory supports them, but the sound stinks.

Gordon Rankin obviously is not the only one who makes wonderful equipment. I would love to hear Steve Nugent's Spoiler in my system or the Memory Player. Unfortunately, these products are not easy to audition.

Fred, I appreciate your technical background. I would be more impressed with your opinions if you had some actual first hand experience with high end USB DACS. Naturally, the cost factor is prohibitive if you don't have friends that can bring these products to your home for auditioning. But until you have first hand experience with these products, your opinions will simply enter the realm of the theoretical. Your arguments will not be appreciated. I have heard the arguments why products like DCS are the products to own, but real life experience negates the theory.

After all the theory and discussion, the only thing that matters is the sound and the enjoyment of the listening experience.

Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What PC audio set up can outperform High end Emmlabs, DCS system? - Mercman 05:51:51 08/04/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.