Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Can you clarify please.

I’ve tested this on another PC and get similar behavior. PC uses onboard sound (@16/48). With KS, foobar uses 2 threads. ASIO4ALL allows for lower buffer settings (down to 64 samples - see image) and foobar in this case uses 4 threads. With either CPU, playback thread increases CS from ~138 to 170. One of the ASIO threads responds directly to buffer setting, i.e. lower samples gives more CS whilst other ASIO thread stays at ~5 CS.

It seems in your setup, its best when only 1 CPU is used. This may be foobar 0.8…

So, I installed foobar 0.8.3 with standard SSRC upsampler and no ASIO output. Playing 16/48, I get similar results as yours. Overall their are 6 foobar threads: UI (0x38c81), playback (0x204f6), output (foo_out_std) and 3 other threads which do minimal work. With foobar active on both CPUs, playback thread (0x204f6) increases CS from ~67 to ~105. This means optimal setup with foobar 0.8.3 is one CPU.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Can you clarify please. - cics 22:35:40 05/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.