Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

11. [New] Lower System RAM

RAM uses large amounts of power. With Foobar (including latest 0.9.4.3) not doing full file buffering (for .cue files), use lowest possible RAM. 1GB consumes 10-12 watts power. Change to 256MB (saving 7-9 watts). This is a big deal.

Only use DDR2 533 RAM which has a clock speed of 266MHz. Lower speed RAMs force Core 2 Duo CPU to perform poorly (reduced cache). Higher speed RAM results in high memory clock speeds causing more RF radiation.

With all other optimizations done, you get ~155MB available RAM. This is good for ‘Track Buffering’ up to 14 minutes – this feature is not supported by Foobar but would be nice. I’ve posted this suggestion on Foobar’s forum (see link) but don’t seem to make any progress. If anyone has a better way to get this feature implemented in next release it would be just perfect!

If you plan to install Windows with this low RAM, in BIOS setup, make sure you set Video RAM to 16MB and disable all BIOS and Video caches. This frees memory allowing for a clean Windows installation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.