Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Have you tried changing affinity?

Hello Edward,

Nothing whacky when it comes to Windows (unrelated stuff can affect sound). I’ve tried using affinity setting in Task Manager but can’t say there’s an improvement. You can automate this (without going through Task Manager) using process utility (link below) as used for bypassing Windows Explorer. This way, you can set affinities in .bat file (e.g. start /wait c:\process.exe –a foobar2000.exe 01). Beware of increasing CPU’s core voltage (more RF radiation & power consumption) with this – I’ve seen this increase to 1.28V (from 1.13V low).

On your setup, add Zalman TNN-300 case (~$700), Biostar mobo ($55) and do SATA RAID 0 with 2 laptop SATA drives. You’ll save on case and PSU (~$350). On version 0.1 setup and these additional changes, my system (computer transport > AA Prestige SE > Levinson 33H > JMLab Nova Utopia Be) is getting closer to benchmark reference system (based on turntable front-end with nothing left to chance – this setup costs ~$400k)!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.