Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Bolder Cable Mods

I've certainly looked at the BC mods -- but I'm not a modder. I just don't buy the whole "change the caps to BGs and the entire sound is magically changed" story. Though I don't mean to put others down that do hear a difference with modded gear.

I think the SB3 is a great device if you need to access your music computer's files from a room (or a few rooms) away. But I was using it to "broadcast" my music from my desk where my computer is to the audio system shelf immediately behind the desk.

The stock DAC was lacking in the SB3 so I added the X-Dac v3 and heard instant improvement. At that point all the SB3 was doing was moving the music data files 3 feet from the source. So I decided to move my Mac Mini closer to the audio rack and just connect it directly to the X-Dac. No real need to use the SB3 for that purpose. And, it did improve the sound to connect the X-Dac directly to the Mac via a good quality optical SPDIF.

So, rather than mod the SB3. I'm going to return the SB3 as it's under 30 days since it was shipped.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Bolder Cable Mods - creativepart 06:33:02 04/18/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.