Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

End of Internet Radio as we know it?

I don't know how many have been following, but netcasters are going to have to start paying royalties and it is difficult to see how most of them can afford it.
"The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) today upheld its earlier decision on fair royalty rates to be paid to musical artists and record labels for the use of their work on Internet radio."
I imagine that there will be many new subscription netcasts such as Rhapsody and Magnitude. I don't know how this will affect a terrestial radio station that also streams its program material. I also can't see how something like Shoutcast can remain.
I think AFTRA is being incredibly short sighted. Where I live the terrestial stations only broadcast a very narrow range of material. The net is where I learn about new music and then I do buy the CDs. I have sent Paypals to places in Africa and Europe that I have never heard of, and sure enough, a CD eventually appeared in the mail. I am sure in the near future I will just download it, but often they still want to download in MP3 and I am just not going to pay for anything in that format. When they start downloading in FLAC or OGG, then I will purchase with that method.
In any event, how I acquire the music, I will likely buy less if I discover less.
I am sure that AFTRA is great for someone like the Black Eyed Peas, but does nothing for Rayan or Neal n Nikki.
Incidently, did you see on YouTube Alanis Morrisette's sendup of My Hump by the Black Eyed Peas. It vividly shows how bankrupt talentwise someone like the Black Eyed Peas really are.
AFTRA, I am not happy.

http://www.playfuls.com/news_09_5844-Judges-Rule-No-Change-in-Music-Royalty-Rates-.html

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - End of Internet Radio as we know it? - Albert B. Broman 22:32:54 04/16/07 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.