Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Final Questions before ripping my CD col.- Single wave w/cue or Multiple waves w/cue and naming

Hi,

I see nobody has responded yet. My collection of about 950 CDs does not use WAV/Cue Sheet, so I can't be of help there. I got a bit confused reading your post, as you were referring only to WAV files, but at the end you mentioned batch converting to FLAC. So I wasn't sure if the FLAC files were for some other application such as an iPod-like device or if that was the final form you wanted your files to be in.

At any rate, batch conversion to FLAC is not really necessary, and is probably more error-prone than using the standard techniques for having EAC launch the FLAC encoder automatically when ripping. That technique is described on this page in step 8 part way down the page. When you use this approach, the tags in the FLAC files are grabbed automatically from the EAC edit boxes for Artist, Album, etc. It may appear that ripping will take longer with this approach, but there is an option which speeds it up a lot. In EAC, EAC options, Tools tab, choose "On extraction, start external compressor queued in the background". So after ripping the first track, the compressor will be launched, and ripping of the second track will occur simultaneously with encoding of the first. This doesn't seem to slow down extraction at all. After the last track is ripped but before the last track is encoded, you can remove the CD from the drive and put the next one in. By the time you do this, the FLAC encoding of the last track will usually be done. So in practice, having EAC launch the FLAC encoder in this way will not slow down ripping at all.

If you really want to end up with FLAC files, the file naming convention becomes somewhat unimportant. This is because all relevant information about each track such as Artist, Album, etc is now put inside the file, so the application software no longer needs to parse the file name to get it. In my view, this is a much more robust solution than having to depend on file naming convention to get this info. My experience with the Squeezebox has shown that there is no need to worry about gaps between tracks (say, for live albums) even when the CD is ripped to individual tracks. This is a problem for MP3, and special software has to be written to fix it, but for FLAC, I get perfect joins when playing back individual tracks from live albums.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.