Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Mac Mini

About 2 months ago I was where you are.

I went with a Mac Mini, a 320 gig Firewire external HD, using iTunes to rip to Apple Lossless files on the external. Then I use Squeezebox to send the music via wireless networking to my Musical Fidelity X-Dac v3 and to my stereo system.

Total cost for ALL pieces was $1,600.

I'm a PC guy and this is my first Mac, but I work at home and use my PC for work and the Mac for music only.

This works great and sounds great too. Plus it was very easy. I probably don't need the Squeezebox as it's only 3 feet away from the Mac Mini, I could use the digital out of Mac right into the Dac and the Mini comes with a remote control that works the iTunes. But I like the display on the Squeezebox and it's full featured remote too. I can scan my ENTIRE music collection with the remote.

I have the Mac sitting on top of the Dell desktop tower that's sitting at my side while I'm working. I use a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch to use my Dell Keboard, monitor and mouse with the Mac. I just push a button on the desk to switch between PC and Mac.

I only have to switch to the Mac ocassionally to check on my iTunes music list and CD artwork etc. The rest of the time I just use the Squeezebox remote to pick music that I want to hear.

I've been ripping CDs for 2-weeks now and I'm in the middle of the "O" CDs now. I rip while I work and I rip about 30 CDs a day. I've ripped two while typing this. I just insert them into the Mac and it does everything automaticly while I'm working on the PC and the Mac spits the CD out when it's done.

Simple, easy to set up, good sound, and not very expensive either. I say it's the way to go. Others here will tell you that you must use a PC, rip to FLAC with Exact Audio Copy and play your files with Foobar2000 and an ASIO driver out to a USB DAC. However, I don't think that is the "only" way to go. Consider the Mac Mini. You'll be happy with that choice.

Good Luck

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.