Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Final Questions before ripping my CD col.- Single wave w/cue or Multiple waves w/cue and naming

I've been building a dedicated audio ripper/transport. I'm trying to reach the highest possible fidelity in computer audio. This has taken over a month in building. I have built it around a Pentium M Dothan chip in a full ATX motherboard. It is completely fanless, has 1Terabyte sorage and works great sofar.

My greatest and last challenge so far is trying to figure out what is the best way to start ripping my collection in EAC. I have over 1000 cd's and want to do this once. Different sources give different ways of doing it. Some say single wave file with a cue sheet. Others, multiple files with gap detection and cue. I would rip as one wave file with cue but does that limit me to making custom playlists. Say one song from this album, two from that album etc...

I thought I knew what I was going to do but the more I read the more confused I get. And there is this .m3u thing. Still trying to figure that out. When I pull some sample rips in Foobar2000 the .m3u file brings up the CD's songlists nicely but no one seems to mention .m3u.

Also the naming scheme has gotten me a little confused when it comes to setting up Foobar2000. I'm using %B - %D- %C[%Y]\%N- %T right now but don't know if this will creat problems in setting up Foobar with columns type playlists. I want to one day set up foobar with album cover pictures and some fancier type setup but don't want to be limited by how I ripped and named my CD's.

I plan to rip 20 cd's into WAV files and then batch convert them to Flac overnight. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the last step to computer audio nirvana for me. Thanks in advance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Final Questions before ripping my CD col.- Single wave w/cue or Multiple waves w/cue and naming - Miab 13:51:25 04/12/07 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.