Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Computer case/chassis recommendation

Paper is silent on what case or chassis to use. Clearly, normal computer cases are not ideal (poor drainage & damping of vibrations, dependence on multiple fans, PSU EMI radiates within case, etc.).

Good news: Home Theatre computers (HTPCs) are rapidly growing. Manufacturers like Thermaltake and Zalman offer HTPC cases that address these issues. Zalman’s TNN-300 certainly looked good on paper (complete fanless design using heat pipe technology, rubber mounts for drives, fanless PSU mounted externally, solid aluminum chassis). It’s also a 2nd generation design. So I bought one – if you don’t try you’ll never know.

Zalman TNN-300 cost me $700 (a net increase of $350 after adjusting for Enermax PSU and a standard computer chassis). I had it burn-in at high power before using it. Installing everything is a full day’s effort.

Does it make a difference? Well if results were unclear, I would’ve said: been their, done that, got the t-shirt and gone back to my trusted old mini-tower with non metallic heavy object on top … Well it’s a different story! Is it better? YES, and its fanless PSU betters the excellent Enermax Noisetaker II.

Firstly, this chassis is well designed, well built, compact and looks nothing like a PC. Its high-tech look fits the part of a supremely talented computer transport. It has a totally different way of installing. Take time to study this. Installation notes:

1. All components install perfectly with the exception of Intel’s socket 775 fanless CPU cooler – manual is unclear. It seems Zalman purposely did this as many Intel 775 CPUs have high temperatures beyond specifications of this chassis. This is not the case with Core 2 Duo CPUs. (Solution: install 775 brackets, then Copper block with smooth end fits flush on CPU layered with thermal grease. Thereafter fit heat pipes etc.).

2. Do not install USB hub and Zalman’s supplied Multifunctional Multimedia Center. Zalman’s remote control and built-in IR receiver is not needed.

3. Clumsy rear-mount thermal blocks (under mobo) is unnecessary as Biostar mobo runs cooler (even more so when BIOS optimizations are done).

4. Downside is for soundcards with IO modules fitting into 5.25” bay. Front panel has a silly lip that covers part of bay – cut holes to allow Soundcard’s IO module to fit perfectly. (Remove front panel before doing this).

5. On first power up, Biostar mobo picks up different CPU voltage and for safety reasons, resets BIOS to defaults. Bypass this problem by resetting BIOS as suggested and also set CPU voltage to ‘Startup’ under ‘Performance Booster Zone’ – although this is the default, setting it again does away with mobo warning on power up.

6. On RAID 0, make sure BIOS SATA mode is set to RAID, otherwise system will not boot as no valid boot area is found.

7. BIOS boot priority may need to be changed as well. Once BIOS is corrected, system starts up. It’s a good idea to check all optimizations.

This computer transport has a great deal of weight on its side which is a good thing as added inertia prevents mechanical vibrations from impacting sound.

What a pleasure. No fans whatsoever (on PSU and CPU), no vibrations and its almost totally noiseless (laptop SATA drives can just be heard). The Biostar mobo complements this chassis beautifully. Zalman’s stand does a good job of dampening vibrations (but spikes would’ve been better). After an hour+ of standalone play I was surprised to see CPU temperature grow slowly and eventually maintain same levels as before (~42 Celcius). It’s been playing continuously for 14+ hours without any problems.

Installing the Zalman TNN-300 with suggested 2 additional optimizations (‘permanent underclocking’ and ‘no video hardware acceleration’) together with RAID 0 yields tangible improvements in sound. Every CD is laid bare in front of your ears with the finest and subtlest information presented oh so effortlessly. It’s very musical. Once you start play you’ll struggle to stop – it’s that good. Average quality CD recordings sounded good & enjoyable but now they’re in the zone (and that’s playing softly). Wow!

This Computer Transport will set you back ~$1,850 - a bargain when you consider more improvements are on the horizon (e.g. non-mechanical low power laptop SATA drives). If you’re shopping for a high-end transport or turntable at any cost, first look here – you won’t be disappointed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.