Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Wait, what's the point of this computer?

Is it so that it is quiet? If so, I want you to know that you don't have to go with Gucci comp parts just to get quiet. Get what you want and then make it quiet.

I built a smokin' fast AMD64 based media center pc not long ago using vantec case fans, an arctic cooling processor fan, an artic cooling v-card cooling kit (uses a fan), and a super silent Antec power supply (again, with a fan), and this thing is both cool and dead quiet. The only fan that you can hear at all is the chipset fan which I never got around to replacing because it doesn't make enough noise to justify the trouble of changing it out. You can't hear any fan noise at all from this box unless the comp is under a load (i.e., the chipset fan flips on) and you are within 3 feet of it.

The only noise that you can hear from this computer beyond three feet is the rattle, rumble and clicking of the chips/processor when it's processing. If I replaced the chipset fan that clicking would be the only thing you could hear from any distance.

It doesn't sound like cooling is going to be an issue for you for what you are trying to do. You aren't trying to overclock processors, or run a heavy graphics load or do anything that will require a lot of memory. As such, there are plenty of aftermarket products available to you for surprisingly little money that will help you reach a goal of both cool and quiet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.