Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yes except the quality difference is night and day.

I have played with this for weeks and I can say for sure 100% that using my audigy4 with ASIO still passes the stream through the main volume and EQ mixer... and there is no way to tell what is "zero gain" or not... I can tell you that setting the sliders in the middle is NOT zero gain... it actually a negative gain for volume and somewhat a positive for the bass/treble.

the ONLY way to get a clean stream is to: 1. remove the device from the mixer completely, but this removes compatability for anything that is not ASIO compatable. 2. use a "non wdm" device like a USB s/pdif device and use ASIO to bypass the windows mixer.

The sound difference between when the audigy4 is disconnected from the mixer is TOO MUCH compared to just using ASIO with it still connected... I am not lying to you when I tell you that. That final volume control and bass/treble control DOES add coloration, I hear it, it is night and day, and the only way to fix it while using the audigy is to remove the device from the mixer in the control panel. But as I said this is not optimal since it screws up anything that cannot use ASIO.

I don't know if you are arguing over semantics or not, but the difference is night and day. ASIO does not give a bit-perfect stream without disconnecting the mixer from the audigy in the control panel.

It doesn't matter anyway since I am using a USB to s/pdif device that is "non wdm" and I have a hagUSB coming that will even be better.

One thing I forgot to say... This could be an issue with ASIO4ALL since I am assuming it works like a wrapper to allow any card to use ASIO. I will try using my cad's own ASIO driver to see if that makes a difference. If using the audigy's own ASIO driver does completely bypass *ALL* the mixers then I will let you know, otherwise I am going to enjoy my hagUSB when it gets here.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.