Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Some additional suggestions

On the premise that power supply fluctuations cause jitter (because it causes the ground to bounce which affect the precise timing of logic transitions), you probably want to avoid any motors or fans.

For example, you can build a totally fanless PC (no fan in power supply, passive cooling etc.) and solid state hard disk (eg. high capacity compact flash or similar). The actual music files can be stored elsewhere (ie. on a server or NAS).

Another area to look out for is EMI/RFI. For example, you could try various methods of shielding the audio circuits. Otherwise they can also add jitter.

You can also reduce generated EMI by using a slower CPU, or underclocking. If the BIOS supports spread spectrum (the best BIOS I have seen so far applies spread spectrum not just on the graphics bus but also memory and PCI), you could try enabling them.

Your recommendation to use optical for digital out would only make sense if you are using a reclocking external DAC, because otherwise optical output adds a lot of jitter (due to the translation between electrical to optical and back to electrical).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.